Warning from Karaman Pharmacy Chamber: Don't Play With Public Health! Karaman Chamber of Pharmacists expressed their concern about the trend towards supplementary foods and herbal products with a written press release.
The following expressions were used in the written statement:
"With the COVID-19 pandemic, our citizens are striving to protect themselves more than ever and are turning to supplements and herbal products. This is of course understandable. We are also witnessing companies.
In the past, we witnessed that these products endanger the public health and even cause deaths. We are concerned and worried about similar incidents happening again.
As a health professional organization prioritizing public health, drugs and products that should be evaluated within the drug category; We have repeatedly stated that all processes from production to storage conditions, from distribution to disposal must be under the supervision of healthcare professionals.
Why should vitamins and supplements be under the supervision of healthcare professionals?
• Vitamins and food supplements can interact when taken with some medications, and this can endanger the health of people.
• Some vitamins and food supplements should never be used in combination with some diseases and currently used drugs.
• It is not possible to control the distribution and storage conditions of health-related products offered to citizens outside the pharmacy.
• Only healthcare professionals can access the patient's disease records and recommend the right food supplements and vitamins accordingly.
• For products sold outside the pharmacy, physician and pharmacist consultancy is eliminated. This leads to misuse.
• To think that products put on the market with innocent and convincing expressions such as "herbal" and "natural" do not have side effects does not comply with scientific facts. Plants contain different structures and many chemicals.
We stand by public health!
We never accept steps that try to exclude physicians and pharmacists in health-related products. In our Novagenix R&D center, which is within the body of our association, food supplements, vitamins etc. sold outside the pharmacy. We declare that we have started testing the products and that we will fight, including legal means, in any situation that may harm public health. "